Saturday, February 21, 2015

My Little Pet Ponies: Friendship is Jamaagic

Jambo Jamaasians!

Ponies. There are many things that may run through your mind when you think about the hoofed animals. Jamaa's newest pet arrived last week and it has caused quite an uproar of cuteness and controversy. May I introduce to you...the pet ponies?
If you ask me, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic was running through my mind when these pets were first introduced. I'm a fan of the show after all. I adore it for it's many themes on kindness, generosity, and friendship.

AJHQ exclaims it's their cutest pet yet. Pretty odd of them to say that. They never really state their own opinions in the game and they almost always leave everything up to the Jammers for speculation.
Is it no wonder that AJHQ could have based this new pet on the characters from the hit show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic? It seems pretty obvious, with the colorful pastel hairstyles. Just look at the comparisons:

From Pinkie Pie...

...to Rainbow Dash...

...to Rarity (my personal favorite)...

...and even Zecora...without stripes!?
She is not amused. I can picture her saying something along the lines of: 

"My stripes cannot be seen, for they have been wiped clean."

Oh how I agree.

Some of you may be thinking that this concludes the "fact" that AJHQ is "unoriginal" and "lazy" and is "running out of ideas". But what about all the well known characters you can make out of the other pets, like characters from Kung Fu Panda?

From Po the Dragon Warrior...

...to Master Tigress...

...to Master Monkey (one of my favorite animals)...

...and Master Viper.

My point is, sure AJHQ may take to reference when creating certain items, adventures, games, and pets, but that doesn't mean they're copying other brands. Maybe some Jammers liked certain animal characters from different books, movies, and T.V. shows and AJHQ was just nice enough to recreate that character with their own individual style.

I know the Insider's Guide explained how the art team drew upon inspiration from their favorite movies --- such as The Lion King, Goonies, The Secret of NIMH, and Star Wars --- when creating the Alphas. Who knows if Cosmo was based on Rafiki and if Greely was based on Darth Vader? Here's a question to think about and answer in the comments:

If you found out your favorite Alpha was based on another character from a book, movie, etc., would you think of them differently?

Have fun, be safe, and game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment